Slavery In Lewisham

The first recorded entry in the parish registers for the Lewisham area is for Cornelius ‘a black a Moor’ [usually means a person from North Africa]. This was in 1593 in the burial registers of St Margaret's, Lee. Earlier still there are records of Black Roman soldiers camping on Blackheath as the Roman Army moved north.

Related Pages:

Lee Petition

1700 - 1739
1740 - 1779
1780 - 1799

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License