Public and municipal buildings

Deptford Town Hall
New Cross Road
New Cross
SE14
Grade II
This was the winning design for a competition organised by the newly-formed Borough of Deptford. Built in the Edwardian Baroque style by Lanchester and Rickards, 1903-5, it is one of Lewisham's most enjoyable public buildings. The elaborate stone fa├žade is very florid and features a central doorway with carvings of Tritons supporting an oriel bay window and statues of admirals between first floor windows. The nautical theme is continued in the sculpture of the sea battle in the tympanum and the sailing ship weathervane on the clock turret above. The grandeur is continued inside with marble columns, staircase and sculptures, which are lit by a domed lantern. The architects also won the competition to design Cardiff City Hall and Law Courts in 1897.

Former Deptford Central Library
Lewisham Way
Deptford
SE14
Grade II
The library was built in a modified Baroque style, with a large barrel-vaulted hall and massive staircase, 1914. The architect was H Brumwell Thomas who designed many public buildings in the early 20th century, including Woolwich Town Hall and Belfast City Hall. Now used as artists' studios and exhibition space.

Laurie Grove Baths
Laurie Grove
New Cross
SE14
Grade II
These swimming baths, slipper baths and laundries were designed in 1895-98 by Thomas Dinwiddy, a local architect and commissioned by the Vestry Board of St Paul's Deptford (the precursor to the Borough of Deptford) under the Public Baths and Wash-houses Act 1846. The building is of Jacobean style with separate entrances for men and women. Many original internal features survive and the building has been converted to art studios for Goldsmiths College.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License