Purcell II, James

(born c. 1716 – died 8 July 1759)

Local connection
There was a monumental inscription to him at St Mary’s church, Lewisham.

Biography
James Purcell was Governor of Tortola Island, Virgin Islands from 1750 – 1751.

Purcell and his brother John had plantations on Tortola Island and rebuilt the fort close to their plantation, which was renamed 'Fort Purcell’; today it is known as 'the dungeon’.

By 1754 Purcell also had a property at Chatham, although he did not live there.

Purcell had a black servant who was also baptised James Purcell at St Mary's church, Lewisham 24 March 1737, aged 32. He was noted as being with Purcell at 'Boydes', a probable reference to Augustus Boyd, a plantation owner on St Christopher Island (now St Kitts).

Boyd's son James bought Danson House and used the huge profits from the plantations to create the house we see today.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License