Phillips, William
William%20Phillips.tif

(born c. 1748 - died 1818)

Local connection
Lived locally and Signed the Lee Petition in 1814.

Biography
William was a victualler, Landlord of the Tigers Head (1814) and churchwarden (1803-1805). Who lived at Lee Green (1818). The Tiger’s Head was famous for its bowling green and for providing entertainment after the cricket matches on the green. Roger Roberts built the building in 1766 that was standing in 1814 and the land was leased from Lord Sondes for 90 years.

Phillips signed the Lee Petition of 1814 against the slave trade.

The monumental inscriptions of Lewisham show an altar tomb "in memory of … Mr William Phillips who died 13th August 1818 aged 70 years. Also Miss Maria Ann Phillips daughter of the above William and Ann Phillips who died 9th July 1842 in her 6th year".

lee
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License