Mansions and villas

Beckenham Place
Beckenham Place Park
Beckenham
BR1

Grade II

A mansion built in 1773 in the Palladian style for John Cator, the developer of Blackheath Park, and probably designed by Sir Robert Taylor. The giant four-column Ionic portico at the entrance is a later addition, which was salvaged from Wricklemarsh House at Blackheath Park. This earlier Palladian house by John James, 1721, was demolished by Cator in 1787. The building presently serves as a golf club house and the grounds are used as a golf course and public park.

Manor House
Old Road
Lee
SE13

Grade II

Probably designed by Richard Jupp, Manor House was built in 1771-2 in the compact villa tradition derived from the more ornate Palladian style. The house was bought in 1796 by Francis Baring, founder of Barings Bank, who became Lord of the Manor of Lee in 1798. It is now used as a public library and its gardens have become a public park.

Stone House
281 Lewisham Way
Deptford
SE8

Grade II

This distinctive villa was built in 1771-3 by George Gibson the Younger for himself (the same architect who designed St. Mary's, Lewisham). It has a highly unconventional exterior (the architect had only to please himself and not a client), with projecting bow windows in the centre of three sides and on the fourth side a four column portico, two columns deep. It is built from Kentish ragstone which gives it a rustic appearance. It was known as the Comical House in the 19th century.

The Pagoda
Pagoda Gardens
Blackheath
SE3

Grade II

Built as a pavilion c. 1775 for the Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch, this is a very rare example of a building designed in the Chinese style, probably by Sir William Chambers. The three storey house has a gabled Chinese-style roof with dramatic upturned corners. Caroline of Brunswick lived here after her separation from her husband, the Prince Regent, in 1799.

Dr Brown's House, Lewisham

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License