Ladywell Lodge

Ladywell Infirmary
In 1897-1900, another infirmary was erected at Ladywell intended solely for the accommodation of the aged and infirm, possibly the only such establishment of its type. The site location is shown on the 1916 map below by which time the establishment had become known as Bermondsey Institution.
St Olave Ladywell infirmary site, 1916.

The scheme was designed by the team of Newman and Newman. The entrance to the site was from the north at Malyons terrace, now Dressington Avenue. The main buildings comprised a central administration block and dining hall flanked by three double pavilion ward blocks at each side. Four wards were for the "infirm", six for the "healthy infirm" and two for the "healthy aged". Males were accommodated at the north of the site and females at the south. There was also a separate block for six married couples, plus an isolation hospital, laundry, two chapels (Church of England and Roman Catholic) and a water tower.

After 1930, the institution was taken over by the London County Council's welfare department and continued in use as a residential institution for the elderly.

Most of buildings have now been demolished with the remainder converted to residential use.

From Workhouse.org.uk, Also contains images not used on this page

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License