Hippodrome Theatre, Lewisham
Hippodrome%20Lewisham.jpg

Lewisham Hippodrome, was at 135 - 137 Rushey Green, Catford. The photograph is c. 1912 The Hippodrome music hall, which was designed by Frank Matcham, opened in 1911. With a capacity of 3,222 it was clearly a sign that Catford had reached maturity as a suburb. Until the Corbett Estate had added more than 15,000 to the population in the previous decade such a huge theatre could not have been expected to pay its way. Even allowing for a large potential audience at its doors, the Hippodrome struggled to survive, taking several diversions into straight drama and films before closing in 1959. It was demolished in 1960.

Pages with connections to Hippodrome Theatre, Lewisham:

Lewisham Hippodrome Performances:
1940 -Hall, Adelaide 6 days from 26 August
1946 -Hall, Adelaide 6 days from 22 July


This wiki is still being developed and subject to change. Please bear with us until it is completed. If you have any suggestions for improvements or inclusions please let us know. Click here to contact us

somerights20.gif

by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License