Educational and institutional buildings

Prendergast School
Eastern Road

Grade II

The school was initially built in 1884-5 by Charles Evans as the West Kent Grammar School and then extended as the Brockley County Secondary School between 1914-18 and 1921. The Assembly Hall has an exceptional series of mural paintings executed between 1933 and 1936 by Charles Mahoney, Evelyn Dunbar, Mildred Eldridge and Violet Martin. The murals are in the Romantic and Narrative School of English painting and are considered amongst the best examples of their kind.

Goldsmiths College
Lewisham Way
New Cross
Grade II

This college was designed by John Shaw in 1843 in the English Renaissance style and originally occupied by the Royal Naval School. The building has a restrained but imposing character and is built from red brick with stone dressings. The college chapel is by the same architect and is now used as a theatre.

Horniman Museum
London Road
Forest Hill
Grade II

F.J. Horniman was a tea merchant and Liberal politician. He commissioned the free museum, designed by Harrison Townsend in 1901 on the site of his former home, so that the public could view his ethnography collection.

The result was one of the most striking and original buildings in London. Townsend was from the arts and crafts school, designing two other notable buildings at the Bishopsgate Institute, 1895 and Whitechapel Gallery, 1897-9.

However, the Horniman Museum was to be his masterpiece with the exterior revealing art nouveau influences and inspiration from the American architect HH Richardson. The front of the building is of asymmetric composition with a tall clock tower above the entrance, which is balanced by a segmental gable to the exhibition hall with a mosaic freeze below depicting Humanity in the House of Circumstance by Anning Bell. The use of ashlar stone and the scarcity of windows - the exhibition hall is top-lit - makes the building all the more distinctive. The freestyle exterior contrasts with the plain and functionally planned interior. Townsend also designed the Emslie Hall, which was added to the museum in 1911 to provide a lecture theatre.

Holy Trinity School
Dartmouth Road
Forest Hill
Grade II
This Gothic Revival-style school was built in 1874 'to promote the religious education of the parish and neighbourhood' and provides a good example of a late-Victorian national school. The single-storey building has a T plan with a central hall flanked by three classrooms on either side. The roof features a central bellcote with a shingle roof and iron weathervane. A new extension was added in 1997-8.

Mother and Baby Homes

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License