Detached areas and divided parishes

The ancient parish of St Nicholas, Deptford was divided in 1730 into the parishes of St Nicholas and St Paul. At this date the two parishes were of equal rateable value, but St Paul's had a far larger area and therefore acquired a much greater population in the 19th century. In 1900 the civil parish of St Paul, Deptford become the Metropolitan Borough of Deptford, whilst the civil parish of St Nicholas, Deptford was included in the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich. Part of the parish of St Paul's (the western half of the New Cross area) was in Surrey until the County of London was formed in 1889.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License