Colfe’s Almshouses, Lewisham

Colfe’s Almshouses in Lewisham High Street were built by the Leathersellers Company between 1663 and 1665 with money left by Abraham Colfe, Vicar of Lewisham. The architect was Peter Mills, who made the central chapel the main feature of his design. The almshouses were for six poor old men and women of the parish. They were damaged during the Second World War and demolished in 1958. The Register Office is now on the site.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License