Catford Cycling Club

The Catford Cycling Club was founded in 1886, originating from an idea by Charles Percival Sisley, during the period when there was an enthusiasm for cycling nationally. It is still flourishing to this day. From the outset, the Club set its sights high, its motto being National-not local. Indeed, by 1890, the Club Prospectus stated that the Club is nothing less than a national institution. Membership was drawn from many parts of the country, and overseas, though most came from South London. The stated aims of the Club were to promote Sport, Road Riding, Racing, Touring, Goodfellowship. It was the first Club to introduce road handicaps open to all amateurs, and international team racing. It was a very active Club, with a wide programme of sporting and social events, the latter being predominant in the winter months. The Club was managed by an elected Executive, which had specific officers to handle each type of cycling event. Initially only men were allowed to become full members, until 1972, though there was a Ladies' Section, who attended social events from the outset. The Old Kittens came into existence as a dinner club for senior members in 1926. There are two published histories of the Club, The first fifty years and the second fifty years, written by E.J. Southcott and R.A. Reynolds respectively, both of which are available in the Local History and Archives Centre.

Catford Cycling Club Website

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License