A/18/015 Ladywell Institution Collection

Introduction

This Collection contains photographs of Ladywell Institution. In 1897 work began to build Ladywell Lodge, Dressington Avenue, an infirmary for elderly poor and infirm, an innovative concept at the time, for the St Olave's (Bermondsey) Union Board of Guardians. It was built on the site of Slagrave farm, was opened in 1900 by the Prince and Princess of Wales, with 812 beds. It was located at the south of the site, with the ancillary buildings to the north. The central administration block and dining hall were flanked either side by 3 double pavilion ward blocks, the infirm, the healthy infirm and the healthy aged. The buildings were designed to provide the maximum light and space. The sexes were strictly segregated and a separate block had been built to accommodate 6 married couples. The site had its own water tower and also contained an isolation hospital, a laundry and 2 chapels, Church of England and Roman Catholic.

In 1904 St Olave's Union joined with St Margaret's to become the Bermondsey Union and it became known as the Bermondsey Institution. By 1909 it have 1,000 beds. During WW1 the Institution became the Bermondsey Military Hospital. It had 796 beds, of which 103 were for tuberculosis patients, 25 for isolation and 6 for dysentery cases. In 1929, when the Boards of Guardians were abolished, the Institution was controlled by the L.C.C., who renamed it Ladywell Institution. During WW2 a parachute mine landed in the grounds at 02.40 20 September, 1940. It did not explode, but 900 people had to be evacuated. After 1940 the L.C.C. opened a residential nursery at 82 Ladywell Road, with cots for 150 infants. The Welfare Committee of the Institution ran it until 1952, when the L.C.C.'s Children's Committee took over. It did not join the NHS but continued in use as Ladywell Lodge, a residential home for the elderly managed by the L.C.C. It closed around 1975 and by 2009 most of the original buildings had been demolished.

Acquired by:
Access: Open.
Date of accession:
Accession number: A/18/15
Covering Dates: c. 1930s
Extent: 3 Items

A/18/15
A/18/15/1 Photograph of Staff outside c. 1930s
1 Item

A/18/15/2 Photograph of Staff c. 1930s
1 Item

A/18/15/3 Photograph of Inmates c.1930s
1 Item


This wiki is still being developed and subject to change. Please bear with us until it is completed. If you have any suggestions for improvements or inclusions please let us know. Click here to contact us

somerights20.gif

by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License