A/73/13 Catford Cycling Club Collection

In 1973 a further number of Catford Cycling Club records were deposited, along with numerous other deposits. They have been catalogued together and given the reference S/2 to make using this material easier.

The Catford Cycling Club was founded in 1886, originating from an idea by Charles Percival Sisley, during the period when there was an enthusiasm for cycling nationally. The Cycling Club is still active to this day.

From the outset, the club set its sights high, its motto being national-not local. Indeed, by 1890, the club prospectus stated that the club was nothing less than a national institution. Membership was drawn from many parts of the country, and overseas, though most came from South London. The stated aims of the club were to promote sport, road riding, racing, touring and goodfellowship.

It was the first club to introduce road handicaps open to all amateurs, and international team racing. It was a very active club, with a wide programme of sporting and social events, the latter being predominant in the winter months. The club was managed by an elected Executive, which had specific officers to handle each type of cycling event.

Until 1972 only men were allowed to become full members, though there was a ladies' section, who attended social events from the outset. The Old Kittens came into existence as a dinner club for senior members in 1926.

There are two published histories of the club, The first 50 years and the second 50 years, written by EJ Southcott and RA Reynolds respectively, both of which are available in the Local history and archives centre.

Further details and examples of the material contained in this collection can be found at History of cycling in Lewisham.
Catalogue of S/2 Catford Cycling Club

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License